Sunday, October 15, 2006

Part 3

On the roof, a silent figure sat up, her expression unreadable. Soon they would find her. Releasing a soft sigh, she stood up. With a resolute look in her eyes, she prepared herself for the greatest journey. My job here is done, she thought. But I must admit, I am rather fed up with this arrangement. She chuckled at this thought. The ledge felt cool to the touch of her feet. Balancing gracefully, she took a moment to take a deep breath. Not out of fear, she was savoring the moment. Then, with another sigh, she tipped over the edge.

Her body was never found.

‘You have done well, my child,’ the Old One regarded her smilingly. ‘I did as I was told,’ Brenda said softly, looking down. They were in a vast library, filled with scrolls. At one of the many tables there, -which was merely a floating top with no visible legs- the old man continued his writing. He looked up suddenly, frowning. ‘How shall I categorize you? A crazy human, a fallen angel, or something more exotic?’ He chuckled. But his expression soon became serious. ‘You played your part well at first. The council almost approved of giving you a second chance. What happened?’ It was a questioned that had to be answered. Brenda took a deep breath, composing her thoughts. This was not going to be easy. ‘I prefer to stay here, with him.’ ‘Ah…’ the Old One mused, contemplating. ‘I admit, They have been a little rough on you, making you watch him die again.’ A gong resonated in the still silence. ‘Come.’

There's an epilogue... =P

No comments: