Sunday, November 12, 2006

dinner.... bluek

‘Mom, I change my mind, I don’t want to go…’

And I nap in my room.

But that didn’t last, I couldn’t force my eyelids to close willingly anymore, and just lying here felt stupid. I tensed my muscles, ready to spring up.

‘Aileen,’ calls a familiar voice. I turn, an immediate reaction, and I see my mother towering over my form.

‘Get up, time to go,’ she said.

Tai Thong Imperial Chinese Restaurant, 7p.m. sharp

8.10p.m. – Is this an old folks reunion? I thought the card said 7 sharp! I don’t even know

the kids here, some luck. I’m contented with staring at the ceiling. Nice

lighting they got.

8.30p.m. – I feel the undeniable need to release tension building in my urinary tract. It

so happens, that they choose the exact time when I was about to get up, to ask

the guests to sit down. Lovely. Ear splitting music fills the restaurant, and the

happy couple stroll in on the red carpet. In the future, I’ll just get Linkin Park to play at my wedding. Ah… music.

Had trouble locating the toilet. Honestly, put some signs up people! You’d

think they expected everyone to memorize their floor plan.

8.45p.m. – FOOD! The only dish I didn’t sample was the shark fin soup. You can’t make

Me!

The food was good, but in between courses, the boredom slips in. Later at night, they start a karaoke on stage with God-knows-what songs in Mandarin, sung by senior citizens. The sound system makes it extra unbearable. Goodness me, I think I sense a migraine, but its probably also due to my littlest brother’s insistent whining, he wants to go home, bless him.

Two and a half glasses of wine, and a few sips of brandy – courtesy of my uncle – later, I patiently wait for my grandmother to finish her never-ending goodbye’s, and off we go! Really, I don’t fancy alcohol, but hey, the things you do when there’s nothing to do…

Home at last! Home sweet home, that’s the ticket.

No comments: