Wednesday, January 31, 2007

typical malaysian

There were still a number of people waiting after 5.30 today. Soon, all left. All but me. I was anxiously waiting for my mom. 6 o’clock came and went. And still I was the only one left waiting outside the desolated school. The few guards did not allay my fears as they seemed like kids in uniforms. There was a whiff of smoke coming from the guardhouse and I cringed involuntarily. Disgusting. At 6.15 I started to panic and called my mom, but instead of a calming response of ‘Don’t worry, I’ll be there soon,’ all I got was a nag on my safety, that she was stuck in a jam and would be late. It did not help that her piercing voice was accusing me of putting my safety at risk and at that point I couldn’t help wondering, would it not be the case if she came a little earlier? If other parents could, why couldn’t she?

And there I go, being a typical Malaysian. Always blaming the other party before myself. Surprisingly, I still remember a speech my ex-principal used to make. She blatantly told us not to be ‘typical Malaysian’s’ and to examine oneself before laying the blame on others. In other words, fix yourself before attempting to repair others. Mark my words, I have never been a real fan of the woman. When she taught me Geography in Form 1 the whole class struggled to stay awake, and only made the effort because she was an unknown entity at that time. Would she be nice, pleasant? Or an evil woman bent on destroying our pathetic lives? Who knew? But this year she retired, and I was on duty for the first time as Ed Board Photographer. Trust me when I say I wished I was sitting down, cheering for the sake of venting off surpressed energy in the form of useless screaming and cheering. Instead I had to strain my leg muscles. I got up and sat down repeatedly, it made me feel like a jack-in-a-box. Boing!

Coming back to the original story, my mom finally arrived at 6.30. I remember her telling me, ‘You don’t have to stay back everyday, just twice a week, for house practice.’ And I told her No. How will we get by with practice twice a week when every other team is doing it everyday as well? ‘Well, it’s not your responsibility.’ Yes it is, I’m part of the team! But then I thought, aren’t other people not staying back as requested? Damn them. Idiotic, Pig-Brained… Nevermind. ‘You only join cheerleading to please your friends.’ OK, that’s it. ‘No, I joined to please MYSELF.’ Haha, I don’t mind speaking my mind to my mom, especially when I feel its right.

I have to admit, our routine is nothing short of unusual. Really unusual, to put it mildly, but still challenging. The intro dance, the intro dance! I suck at it, I bet Wei Lin isn’t too happy either! I predict, and I solemnly swear I am not taking sides… That Maclay will win. Again. It doesn’t help that the Cooke’s are said to be using pretty similar props. Bah, who cares!? Green and Maclay are using the same song. Big deal. XD

No comments: